Re: pexepct is in RHEL and should be dropped from EPEL

Robert Scheck wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:
This is nice and all but EPEL is compatable with RHEL, not the other way
around.  We, unfortunately, have a one way relationship with RHEL.  They
decide what goes into RHEL, not us.  It would be nice to have more open
communcation about these things (I hope that is coming in the future) but
still, they can decide whatever they want to.

I am not willing to see e.g. duplicity on RHEL < 5.2 broken.

In fact, duplicity is used by RHEL 4 and 5 customers and in the past there
have been several e-mails from Red Hat supporters (or whoever these guys
working at Red Hat are) claiming if something has broken at their customers
machines. I don't want to see breakage again as we can avoid it here by not
dropping the package.

And I ever thought, EPEL is meant to be stable and reliable to Enterprise
customers (even if it isn't supported by Red Hat). If we now really go and
break things, we're getting just another fscked up repository out there...

Does this go to branching for minor RHEL releases? If so, I think the topic was raised before and considered to be way too much work for the small group of people that make up EPEL's core-maintenance team.

Regardless, I'd volunteer to help out with branching, maintaining, checking EPEL package lists against RHEL X.Y package lists, and so forth. All I do now is maintain a few packages.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip