Re: EPEL meeting summary/minutes - 2009-07-17

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Jesse Keating<jkeating j2solutions net> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:07, inode0 <inode0 gmail com> wrote:
>> As far as a script helping goes it would only help if it were provided
>> by Red Hat has part of RHEL. Otherwise it would not be available
>> universally as not everyone uses any particular 3rd party repo. And if
>> they (Red Hat) would agree to such a thing, unlikely I think, it might
>> as well be part of rpm, like rpm -q
>> --where-the-heck-did-this-come-from package.
>
> Or perhaps a bug reporting URL field in each rpm. Accessable via rpm -qi or
> a targetted query.

Correct. But while fixing the issue of identifying the source of an
rpm inside rpm is appealing in the long term, it isn't going to help
the world as it exists today. Such an RFE would probably take a couple
of years to get into RHEL and would not be likely to be backported.

John