Odiecolon repo for EL5

Radu-Cristian FOTESCU beranger5ca at yahoo.ca
Mon Jun 29 15:00:40 UTC 2009

Folks,

There is a reason for my repo (Odiecolon) to be what it is, and this has nothing to do with EPEL.

To a certain extent, you're right though. It were better to have had contacted EPEL, this could have prevented some duplicate work, and it would have triggered the 64-bit packages too (currently, I'm doing 32-bit only).

The problem is that my repo also includes packages that can't be part of EPEL for various legal reasons. Even an "innocent" application such as Audacity has some MP3-related dependencies.

Should I have had the guts, I should have rebuild into my repo whatever I primarily use RPMforge for:
(1) gstreamer-plugins-bad gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-ffmpeg
(2) mplayer mplayer-fonts mplayer-skins mplayerplug-in smplayer
(3) vlc

I am not using RPMforge for anything else because, honestly, it's broken. Honestly.

The problem is that, while RPMforge is broken to a certain extent, there are newer packages in EPEL that break VLC and MPlayer from RPMforge and prevent them to install (for those who try to use both EPEL and RPMforge): libdvdread 4.1.3 > 0.9.7; libdvdnav; libcaca; lzo.

As a desktop/laptop user would rather *need* (ask for) the full multimedia capabilities, and still some of them would want to use EPEL (*I* do), there was a need for a fix.

My repo is supposed to provide ugly-hacked builds of libdvdread, libdvdnav, libcaca, lzo (older packages version-bumped to numbers greater than what EPEL has) to prevent EPEL screwing the aforementioned RPMforge multimedia applications/codecs.

So there is no way to put these "hacks" into EPEL, and I don't believe there is a way to rebuild the affected RPMforge applications to accommodate them with EPEL.

Furthermore, would EPEL accept GIMP 2.3.15 as a compromise between 2.2 and 2.4? (This is what Odiecolon has.)

Best regards,
Béranger