[Spacewalk-devel] Re: Fedora EPEL Package Build Report 2009-03-01

Miroslav Suchý msuchy at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 08:55:16 UTC 2009

Sending to epel-devel and spacewalk-devel to share this info:

Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
> Pradeep Kilambi wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> Are you sure you want this in EPEL? IIRC this would conflict if a
>>> EPEL user tries to install RHN satellite.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>
>> Hello Rahul:
>>
>> Looks like it got in as part of bug#485007. From what I read this is
>> to add spacewalk support to fedora and centos.

This is not first package which we put into Epel. There is already dozen
of others.

Since the open sourcing RHN Satellite as Spacewalk we said that
Spacewalk want to be part of Fedora. And we are slowly fulfilling this
wish. You can see the  progress on:
  https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/GettingPackagesIntoFedora
Every package which pass the review is built into F-10, devel, EL-4, EL-5.

Unless something will change we will continue in this. If you disagree
or have questions ask on spacewalk-devel at redhat.com.

Back to your question:
 >IIRC this would conflict if a EPEL user tries to install RHN satellite.
One of the basic requirements for RHN Satellite is to have only @base
installed. Nothing more. If you enable epel repo for RHN Satellite, I'm
sure bad things will happen. For example in epel is package
perl-Class-MethodMaker-2.08-4.el5, but RHN Satellite (5.2.0-) expects
perl-Class-MethodMaker-1.x and monitoring will not work with 2.x version
of this packages.

I'm sure few others conflict can be found. So Epel and RHN Satellite
really do not likes each other.

--
Miroslav Suchy
RHN Satellite Engineering, Red Hat