requirements based on application version

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Mar 24 00:00:32 UTC 2009

Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> On 03/24/2009 01:38 AM, Adam Stokes wrote:
>> In my case python 2.4 requires an external package 'python-sqlite2'
>> for the 2.0 api for sqlite3, whereas python 2.5+ provide this without
>> the need for that extra requirement.
>>
>> My question is what is normally done about this when someone has to
>> provide a package for both fedora(python 2.5+) and epel(python 2.4)?
>> Is it proper to define this within the spec file?
>>
> yes of course.
> if 0%rhel
> do stuff
> else
> do other stuff
> endif
>
> *use proper syntax

The problem is that then makes the spec files very distro specific.
In some cases virtual provides take care of it - making

requires: language-module

redundant. The RPM macros will detect that it is required, and take care
of it - but unfortunately that doesn't always work. It works a lot
better in recent versions of RPM than it use to though.