package maintainer without a package

  I've been using a few minor packages from EPEL (like clamav) for a
while.  Now I am about to start using a package that we rely heavily on
(Sun gridengine) so I would like to help maintain the EPEL gridengine
package to keep it current.  I've read through most of the Fedora
maintainer documentation.  One of the steps was to add a package to
bugzilla for review.  What if you do not have a package?  Can I be "just
a helper" without being an owner of any packages?   Specifically I would
like to help get the current gridengine 6.2u2_1 into the koji EPEL
system (assuming that this is OK with the current owner) and fix the
couple build problems I ran into locally.

I couldn't find an answer in the fedora project wiki.  Should I just
start the process of getting an account for koji and see what happens?
Any other pointers?

Christopher McCrory
chrismcc pricegrabber com