new perl package needs newer versions of dependancies.

Christopher chrismcc at pricegrabber.com
Mon Sep 28 22:29:08 UTC 2009

Hello...

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 22:16 +0200, Steve Traylen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> that's a no-no
> >>

> > ugh, what a painful problem.  Why can't all this stuff just be easy :)
> > Seems like stuff like this might have to wait until RHEL6.
> >

> Assuming there is one and it does not contain any security holes
> then can an older Yahoo-Marketing module be built and added
> to EPEL.

It might be possible, but I think this case is similar to something like
clamav versions.  At least in our local case, when yahoo adds API
functionality, you frequently need to get the latest perl module version
to use that new API.  Hence we are almost always at the latest version,
plus whatever it requires.

> It seems reasonable to me. I am interested in the general case
> as well as this one since I have a similar item with something I wish
> to add.

For the general case of getting newer versions of modules that are in
the perl core rpm, all I could find was this:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Perl
How to update core perl modules? Use the site_perl dirs? /usr/local
dirs? Problems with man pages conflicts, version provides clashes (can
cause strange problems during package upgrades), ....

/me uses ... MAN1EXT=1cpan MAN3EXT=3cpan ... in the build portion

<side bit>
 I am also trying to build up some other perl modules we use into
fedora.  As odd as it sounds, I don't have a good place to publicly post
the .spec files.  http://fedorapeople.org/ would work, but I need to be
in a SIG like EPEL which requires being sponsored, (hint, my FAS id is
chrismcc :) .
</side bit>

For everyone:
Would, for example, building all the BuildRequires for
perl-Yahoo-Marketing and the module itself within koji, then posting the
five or so resulting rpms in a small yum repo on fedorapeople be an
acceptable solution?

Then users could always get the latest versions either for Fedora Latest
or for RHEL, built via EPEL, but not in EPEL proper.

<snip>

--
Christopher McCrory

chrismcc at pricegrabber.com