Bundle a newer version of a python library for a point release?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 19:13:44 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 12:42:36PM -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:58:24 -0700
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at j2solutions.net> wrote:
>
> > Here is the situation.  In EPEL6 we'd like to ship Trac 0.12.  This is
> > the latest upstream release and since upstream tends to do db format
> > changes between releases we'd like to start with the newest one and
> > run with it.
> >
> > However trac 0.12 requires python-genshi 0.6, and RHEL6(.0) will ship
> > with python-genshi-0.5.x.  I've put in an RFE to get that updated in
> > RHEL6.1.  There is good chance, but not a guarantee that this will
> > happen.
> >
> > One way out of this situation I see is to (temporarily?) bundle
> > python-genshi 0.6 with the Trac package, solely for the use of the
> > Trac package.  It'd require that Trac maintainers become bugzilla
> > watchers (somehow...) of python-genshi so that we can see any bugs or
> > updates and make sure they get applied if necessary.
>
> I think bundling is a bad idea.
>
> > I really don't want to ship trac 0.11 with EPEL6.  It won't likely
> > have a super long life upstream which would put us in a bad situation
> > of having to support it ourselves and try to roll security fixes for
> > it ourselves (which was !fun on older EPEL branches for older Trac).
> > The only other option I see here is to withold Trac from EPEL6 until
> > (maybe?) RHEL6.1 which also doesn't seem like a fun option.
> >
> > Looking for other ideas, or thoughts on the above.  Thanks!
>
> Submit a 'python-genshi-06' package and have track 0.12 use that
> instead of the base python-genshi?  You would need to of course make
> sure they could parallel install.

Yeah -- if we can't get it updated in RHEL6-final, this is the way to go.
python-sqlalchemy05 in the EPEL-5 repository can help guide you here.

When you do parallel installs, you may need to modify the trac source to
find the new library.  I'm not familiar with how ingrained trac is with
setuptools -- it may be a matter of adding __requires__ = ['Genshi >= 0.6']
to the top of all trac scripts, it if the Genshi requirement is already in
trac's egg-info it may not need any modification, or you might need to
manually insert the path to genshi into sys.path.

-Toshio