RFE: add buildsys-build to comps, add buildsys macros to epel-release

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Sun Jan 17 08:23:03 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 09:53:55AM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> On Wed June 3 2009, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>
> > > There is one:
> > > http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/comps/comps-el5.xml.in?view=log
> > > I just created the buildsys-build group from the contents of the
> > > buildsys- build package I have. Btw. who maintains the package list for
> > > EPEL? I noticed it differs from the F11 one.
> >
> > It is maintainer managed the same as fedora.  if no one updates it that it
> > doesnt get updated.  if you want you packages listed its up to you to add
> > them.
>
> I meant the package list of the minimum build root. For the Fedora Collection
> afaik rel-eng maintains it. Somebody is probably doing the same for EPEL.

> > im honestly not sure if we should add the macros to epel-release  it would
> > mean then that you must have epel enabled in your mock config to build for
> > EL-4 and EL-5. it would also mean that we need to have mock updated for all
> > active releases with new epel configs since the existing configs would be
> > broken. which would need to be tightly controlled. since epel-testing or
> > epel building would be broken during the stages of transition.  mock could
> > be useful for people building things for rhel but not epel.   if Red Hat
> > decides to add them to redhat-release or centos adds them to centos-release
> > we will end up with conflicts (im not aware of any plans to add them but im
> > not really in the know) however it is really the right place for them.
> > though we could possibly get away with making the comps group require
> > epel-release and not buildsys-macros.
>
> I already made the comps group require epel-release and not buildsys-macros.
> Also there is no need to remove the groups repo at the specified URL,
> therefore nothing should break during the transisiton and also old configs
> will still work. We can first update epel-release and once it is in stable
> update the mock config files. The problem with conflicts between EPEL and
> future releases of RHEL exists with every package in EPEL, therefore it is not
> a big problem.

I just verified that at least the buildsys-build group is not synced to
mirrors. Can we somehow move forward on this?
If adding the rpm macros to epel-release is really a problem, can we
move the package to a proper EPEL repository instead? When I proposed
this long a ago for the Fedora packages, it was not done, because they
went away eventually. So if nobody complains, I will just create a new
package to get this done. But it would be really nice if this could be
managed by the people maintaining these packages, to keep them in sync.

Regards
Till