Hoping to maintain python26 in EPEL5

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 01:45:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 06:06:55PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:40:05 -0500
> David Malcolm <dmalcolm at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm interested in maintaining a build of python 2.6 for EPEL5,
> > parallel-installable with the system "python" (2.4 in EL5, which I
> > comaintain within RHEL).
>
> ...snip...
>
> > Would people find this useful to have in EPEL5?
>
> I personally would. We have several clients here that use a home grown
> spec/rpm for this, and it would be great to have something like this in
> the community. ;)
>
> Whats the stance on modules for this python?
> Similar to what we do for python3 in fedora? or forbidden?
>
> I'll see if I can review it at some point, unless someone beats me to
> it.

I like the idea of a more recent python a lot!  I'd think that having
modules (similar to how we package python3-MOD in Fedora) would make things
much more useful... but it does require having more maintainers willing to
work on them.

My only reservation is whether we want to wait for python2.7 to come out.

Pros: py2.7 is presently supposed to be the end of the 2.x line and will
have 5 years of bugfix support from upstream after its release.  If all goes
well, this will be longer than EPEL5 is around and we won't have people
wanting a different py2.x later on.

Cons: py2.7 is currently at alpha4.  The release schedule for python 2.7.0
projects a release date of 2010-06-26 and is here:
  http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0373/

-Toshio