Re: Hoping to maintain python26 in EPEL5

On Mar 14, 2010, at 8:58 PM, David Malcolm wrote:

>> I would expect that as soon as the dam breaks.. lots of modules would
>> be needed. The best thing here is to make it scalable with a howto on
>> "make your python package be python26-xxx compatible"
>
> FWIW, I've been working this weekend on a very different way of
> packaging Python modules that may better support building out parallel
> multiple stacks in RPM form.
>
> I just posted details to the Fedora Python SIG list here:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/python-devel/2010-March/000213.html
>
> Assuming I can get it working (it's still an experiment), it may scale
> up nicely for a future day when perhaps we want to add e.g. python27,
> python31, python32, etc.
>
> Early days, though.
>
> Dave

Also FWIW, the IUS Community Project [1] has a python26 set with a number of modules built.  For the most part the module packages were pulled either from EPEL or Fedora and rebuilt against the python26 parallel install so porting them back to EPEL should be only a matter of removing the '.ius' release tag.

[1] http://dl.iuscommunity.org/pub/ius/stable/Redhat/5/SRPMS/

---
derks