EPEL6 When to go out of Beta?

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 15 22:03:49 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 04:54 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> In the meeting today we discussed when to move EPEL6 out of beta, now
> that RHEL6 final is out. In the past we had said "when CentOS6 is out",
> mostly in order to give time after final to build things up, etc.
>
> Moving out of Beta means: We would start using bodhi for all updates,
> The 2 weeks in testing before going stable would be enforced, We would
> have epel and epel-testing repos in our release package, buildroot
> overrides would be needed if you wanted to build against a newly built
> package, etc.
>
> What do folks think on when we should move out of Beta mode:
>
> a) When CentOS6 is out.
>
> b) 1 month after RHEL6 was released.
>
> c) NOW!
>
> d) Something else.
>
> IMHO it's nice to give a bit of time now that we know the final package
> list in RHEL6 to branch and build items. Also, some EPEL folks may want
> to make sure they have the very latest (stable) items built that they
> are willing to try and support for the RHEL6 life time.

I vote for b) with the below as rationale:

As a related question: for EPEL 6 can we discuss the possibility of
having EPEL6.1, EPEL6.2 releases where we consider the possibility of
releasing minor and (possibly) major package updates?

RHEL itself will sometimes rev minor and major versions of packages
during Y-stream releases (6.1, 6.2, etc.) I personally think that we
should consider doing something similar in EPEL. One month after each
RHEL Y-stream release, we should allow similar updates to happen in EPEL.

Logistically, I'd be suggesting that we should maintain a primary EPEL6
branch and an ongoing EPEL6-beta branch. Individual packages could then
be merged into the EPEL6 primary branch one month or so after a RHEL
Y-stream release.

It would make maintaining packages for EPEL a lot more approachable if
there was a plan for when it would be okay to have new functionality
updates. It would also be predictable from a consumer's perspective.

- --
Stephen Gallagher
RHCE 804006346421761

Delivering value year after year.