Re: EPEL6 When to go out of Beta?

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 18:22:58 -0600
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net> wrote:

> > b) 1 month after RHEL6 was released.
>
> Is there a particular reason to wait?  Is specific additional testing
> being done, with results being used to determine overall status?

No, but now the final list of available packages is known and versions,
so people can decide what EPEL version of something they can build and
support for the next 7 years. Some packages, like fftw were in limbo or
not available, so now those folks that needed that package can build
out their apps.

Granted this could be done on the fly as we go to, but we sort of
'lock in' to the version at stable release time, so it would be nice to
give maintainers a chance to lock in to the version they want/can.

> If not, I don't see any reason to wait, especially an arbitrary period
> of time.  Release it now.
>
> Some things may not be there at release time, but again, unless EPEL
> is going to be held up for those packages, there's no point in
> waiting.

Sure, true to some extent...