Re: EPEL6 When to go out of Beta?

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:44:19PM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 23:08:22 -0600
> Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net> wrote:
>
> ...snip...
>
> > What does "released" mean for EPEL?  AFAIK it doesn't mean "100%
> > packages available".  There is a set of packages that are (or at least
> > are believed to be) ready now; why not release them now?  If someone
> > is waiting on CentOS to get their packages ready, that's okay; those
> > packages won't be in the EPEL 6 release tree until they are.
>
> Well, it means the ones in now are the ones we will try and stick with
> for the next 7 years. ;)

This is what I fear the most.... but waiting might not make it any better.

Maybe a better strategy would have been to not mass branch any EPEL packages
or to tell people *not* to build unless they were at the stage that they
were ready to support for the next 7 years whether or not it had a branch.

-Toshio