Re: EPEL6 When to go out of Beta?

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 11:08:22PM -0600, Chris Adams wrote:

> On the other hand, if the EPEL package is updated before CentOS gets the
> security update, the CentOS users can use --skip-broken to just skip the
> EPEL update they can't yet load, and RHEL users can load all their
> updates.  Once CentOS gets the update, they'll get the EPEL update as
> well.  I think that's a better situation.

This only works if the package with a incompatible update in EPEL is in
the base or core group, i.e. always installed. Otherwise you would block
installing the package at all from EPEL for CentOS users.

E.g. foo-1 is in EPEL and is updated to foo-2, requiring bar-2 from RHEL
which is not in CentOS. Then fresh installs of CentOS won't be able to
install package foo from EPEL, because yum would try to install foo-2
which fails.

Regards
Till