RFC: EOL of mediawiki from EL-4, EL-5, EL-6

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 22:33:43 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 14:27, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd at bludgeon.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 01:53:32PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> I plan to EOL mediawiki for the EPEL releases for EL-4,5,6 due to
>> packaging newer ones using mediawiki114,mediawiki115, mediawiki116.
>>
>> There are several ways I can do this:
>>
>> 1) change mediawiki114 to replace mediawiki. Pros would allow people
>> to keep a package on their system. COns most likely will break due to
>> linking and changes in package.
>>
>> 2) put out a final mediawiki package with a "Please dont use." in
>> README and %description.
>>
>> 3) just remove from system.
>>
>> I need input and help on getting this done.
>>
>> Thankyou.
>
> I like option #1.  Are you tracking this in a bugzilla somewhere?  I
> would be happy to "help" insofar as testing this new package (the
> upgrade side-effects mainly).

I have tried a couple of times to do #1. However they all ended up
being very very delicate in that they only worked with a default
install. As soon as I tried to make it work in a non-default way I
ended up with broken links and a lot of hand fixing that would be
needed either way.

At this point my best step is to parallel install mediwiki114 and
mediawiki. Go through your config files and symbolic links and point
to mediawiki114. Test. Repeat.

The second issue is that they are not 1:1 matches. I decided not to
implement Axil's multihome patch because upstream had no interest in
it and they pointed out it needed a more work for it to work well (for
their definition of well). I am a) not a PHP developer and b) full up
on other jobs so decided to take it out and implement a minimal patch
set to deal with upstreams packaging style.