Broken URL for epel-release, strategy for the future

Steve Traylen steve.traylen at cern.ch
Wed Sep 1 21:20:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 03:56:04 pm Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 13:37, Tony Yarusso <tyarusso at nagios.com> wrote:
>> > So as background, our product's installation script contains a line
>> > which reads:
>> > rpm -Uvh
>> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch
>> > .rpm
>>
>> Hi tony.
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback and reminding us know that some people rely on
>> us. We will see if our push stuff can create a more permanent link you
>> could aim at to get the release better.
>
> there is not an easy way to provide a permanent link.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/repoview/epel-release.html

is a pretty good permanent link along with some instructions.

"Please install the latest epel-release RPM from this page"

Probably offer links to the i386 and x86_64 page just to avoid the obvious
support question.

  Steve.

> the best fix would be for your script to write out a yum repo file for epel and
> do a yum install of epel-release. This also removes the single point of
> failure that is the single download.fedora.redhat.com server.  alternatively
> you could have a copy of epel-release that you host on your own servers  then
> if we update the package a yum update will get the latest version.  however i
> do believe using yum and the epel repo is the most reliable way to move
> forward.
>

> I guess you could also use rsync or ftp to get the latest copy and install it
> also.  but again using the mirrorlist and a yum repo to me seems best
>
> Dennis

Steve Traylen