RHEL5 and RHEL6 with the EPEL RHEL Entitlements

Niels de Vos devos at fedoraproject.org
Thu Apr 19 08:59:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Jochen Schmitt <Jochen at herr-schmitt.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 10:09:45 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Unless you are doing hardware enablement (which probably shouldn't be
>>done in EPEL), the best approach I would say is to install RHEL 6 on the
>>hardware and use KVM to create a RHEL 5 virtual machine.
>
> I have tried out your suggestion. Unfortunately I have got an
> error message during the registration process for software
> updates, which told me, that I didn't have any free entitlements,
> because the entitlements was used for the based RHEL6 system.

Well, the entitlement you have received should allow you to install
RHEL-6 on a physical machine. On this machine you should be able to
install a RHEL-5 in KVM. The RHEL-5 guest will 'inherit' the
entitlement from the RHEL-6 host, no additional entitlements needed.

For this to work correctly, the RHEL-6 host must be marked as
Virtualization Platform (or something like that) in Red Hat Network.
Maybe the following Knowledgebase article can help you here:
- https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/solutions/9932

You should be able to access Red Hat Network and the Knowledgebase
part of https://access.redhat.com with your RHN-login.

Good luck,
Niels