Octave 3.4.3 from EPEL fails with 3 missing RPMs on RHEL6 x86_64

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Aug 2 14:39:16 UTC 2012

On 08/02/2012 05:21 PM, Christopher Lott wrote:
> Thank you so much for this bit of information that was obvious to
> everyone except me :)  I found these packages hiding deep within RHN:
>
>     fftw-3.2.1-3.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
>     glpk-4.40-1.1.el6.x86_64.rpm
>
> I found and downloaded them using my RHN subscription.  I also note
> that googling the file names reveals a zillion alternate locations.
Those alternate locations are not relevant, you should use the RHN
channels that you are entitled to. Including the optional ones.

> After a quick download and install, yum installed octave with no
> problem.   And now octave is installed thanks to EPEL!

     You should not have downloaded and installed them separately. You
have to configure your system so as to allow yum to access all the
repositories, including those "hidden" ones. In this way yum will always
download and use whatever is needed.

         Manuel