RFC: Rethinking EPEL at FUDcon Lawrence 2013

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com
Thu Dec 6 23:02:57 UTC 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Joe Julian <joe at julianfamily.org> wrote:
> Having an epel-N-rawhide repo would be one easy way to allow packagers to
> present the best of their package while leaving a stable repo to minimize
> the amount of maintenance required by an admin.

>From my perspective the epel-testing repo fills this gap somewhat. The
advantage to epel-testing is that I can get newer packages, and it is
very clear to me what is heading towards stable. We even have feedback
mechanisms already in place to support communication back to the
maintainers.

However many intermediate repos we put in place, these unstable
updates *have* to be allowed to go into epel-stable eventually.
Otherwise, we put epel-stable users at risk for unpatched security
flaws.

- Ken