Permanent URL for EPEL configuration

Mikael Fridh frimik at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 02:28:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM, Remi Collet <Fedora at famillecollet.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't this exists yet ?
>
> Most third party repository have some permanent URL.
>
> Each time epel-release is updated to a new version, so much stuff is
> broken (doc, scripts, ...)
>
> Is it so hard to simply create a link ?
>
> So:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/3605

I agree it's been annoying on a few occassions ... but I always have a
version of epel-release in my own internal repo and just add my
internal repo with the repo command in the kickstart config and
include epel-release in the %packages section. Then I follow that up
with a yum upgrade (which pulls down newest from upstream epel), so I
rarely have to worry about this, if ever anymore ...

Anyway, I did this for fun just to show how it can be done
_externally_ by someone not in the Fedora org:
https://github.com/frimik/epel-latest#readme

Demo:

rpm -qip http://warm-scrubland-1864.herokuapp.com/epel-latest/6/x86_64/epel-release
rpm -qip http://warm-scrubland-1864.herokuapp.com/epel-latest/6/x86_64/fail2ban