Re: Long-term package versions (RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL)

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 22:00:03 -0500
Bill McGonigle <bill bfccomputing com> wrote:

> On 02/08/2012 09:46 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > * If you can't do a seemless upgrade, you move on to parallel
> > installs like we are doing with mediawiki. Announce and try and get
> > people to realize the flow and that they need to upgrade.
>
> I like the general outline, though the 'announce' part might be a bit
> tricky.  The biggest risk would be that people think they're getting
> updates to their core package when they're not.

Yeah. Thats one reason I think it's important to discuss any such cases
here on this list (so they show up in a google search) and in
epel-announce (so they show up if someone searches there).

> Several ideas that involve writing code came to mind, but the easiest
> might be to do one more release of the base package and drop a cron.d
> file in that tells root every day that he's running an maintained
> package.  It won't get everybody but most conscientious admins watch
> their cron output (and could easily turn it off if they decide to stay
> with the base package).  EPEL could decide on a standard template to
> use.

I suppose, but some people may dislike being bothered.

> Perhaps there's a better way to get word out to users?

Not sure, but open to ideas. ;)