Long-term package versions (RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 17:46:47 UTC 2012

On 8 February 2012 20:00, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> On 02/08/2012 09:46 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> * If you can't do a seemless upgrade, you move on to parallel installs
>>   like we are doing with mediawiki. Announce and try and get people to
>>   realize the flow and that they need to upgrade.
t to users?

> I'm kinda wishing rpm could handle concurrent versions now...

One of the big issues with concurrent versions is that the software
itself most of the time does not deal with "concurrent" versions any
better than anything else. The hacks that were trying to be done in
mediawiki for the longest time sort of worked except when they didn't
and the basic word from upstream was "well we don't expect a person to
be able to run two different versions on the same system. Get another
and quit being crazy." The same with other software. Systems are
treated like ram these days by developers: It is cheap for them to
spin up extra boxes so it should be for you too (and if it isn't..
then you can try paying them to listen to you :( ).