Overlap policy v20120615

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Jul 5 23:04:32 UTC 2012

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:51:46 +0100
"Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:

> Kevin, about the provision to provide packages for other binary
> architectures.
>
> RHEL 6 supplies qemu-kvm only on x86-64.  This provision lets us
> provide qemu-kvm on i386 and ppc64 I think.

Yeah.

The exact policy is:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packaging#Limited_Arch_Packages

> My questions:
>
> Does it have to be the same n-v-r of qemu-kvm?  (This seems like it
> would be impossible in practice, so I guess the answer must be no)

No, it needs to be less than the one provided by RHEL.

ie, a leading 0 on the release...

> Can the other arches be provided by a differently named package?  (We
> call it 'qemu' in Fedora)

I don't know. It would complicate things on versions, etc.

> Can the EPEL package override the x86-64 package from RHEL, eg. by
> providing qemu-kvm.x86-64 with a higher n-v-r?  Or should the EPEL
> package ExcludeArch the RHEL packages that exist?

The EPEL version should be a lower n-v-r than the RHEL one.
However, due to the way koji works, when we setup a package like this,
it's the EPEL version on all arches that is seen/used in the
buildsystem. There's no way to tell koji to block a package in only one
arch or look for it in only some other ones.

kevin