Overlap policy v20120615

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 15:07:34 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 6:13 AM, Bryan J Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (1) Disallow conflicts with these packages in EPEL. The upside is that
>> EPEL users know they won't have conflicts with any of these packages
>> from Red Hat. The downside is that it prevents other packages from
>> being included in EPEL that have dependencies from this package set.
>
> Why would it prevent packages from being included in EPEL?

Because they either won't build due to unresolved dependencies in the
build system in the cases of RS and SFS or they will build but produce
packages that have unresolved dependencies at install time in the
cases of HA and LB. While we do currently have packages in EPEL in
this latter category I don't think anyone really thinks it is a good
situation and it at the very least contradicts the EPEL note to RHEL6
users that they need to enable the optional channel to satisfy
dependencies.

John