Package built outside of the el6 branch

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at fedoraproject.org
Sat May 19 08:15:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:22 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:18:40 +0800
> Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just stumbled upon something surprising in EPEL 6.
> >
> > On the repositories, the latest published version of
> > perl-Getopt-Long-Description is:
> >     perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-2.el6
> >
> > However, in the fedora/el6 Git branch, the latest version is:
> >     perl-Getopt-Long-Descriptive-0.084-1.el6
> >
> > Trying to understand where this -2 version is coming from, I found the
> > Koji build:
> >     http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/taskinfo?taskID=2431757
> >
> > Koji helpfully says it was built from the git commit 1d8afac... which
> > is not in the fedora/el6 branch, but in the branch leading to f14+.
> >
> > I'm confused, how is that possible?
>
> Well, it was branched for el6 that day and built from the repo (no
> commit), so it was pulled from whatever was in rawhide/master then.
>
> I'm as puzzled as you as to why it's the -2 version tho. ;(
> It shouldn't be... -1 is the one in git...

I think the maintainer didn't do « fedpkg build » (or that would have
generated a build for the current branch) but instead use « koji build
dist-6E-epel git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/... »

I don't think Koji knows (nor should it) about the branches in Git and
what target they correspond to, so it can't enforce that someone doesn't
e.g build for el6 something from the master branch.

It's still very annoying, for example:
- it's very confusing for someone looking at the repository
- it totally defeats the purpose of a potential FTBFS run (trying to
build something different from what is in the distribution)
- it makes life harder for downstream consumers of Fedora who rebuild
stuff out of our Git trees
- it's generally bad for any kind of (automatic) process based on our
Git trees

Not sure what to do about it though, issuing an update just to
synchronize the repos with Git seems overkill, but leaving them out of
sync is not right. :(

--
Mathieu