Fixing Puppet in Fedora/EPEL

Michael Stahnke stahnma at puppetlabs.com
Fri Oct 19 23:12:06 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM, Seth Vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Oct 2012, Michael Stahnke wrote:
>
>> Puppet in the Fedora/EPEL ecosystem is a bit wonky currently.
>>
>> I'd really like to fix it.
>>
>> Problems:
>> * Fedora 17 (and higher) ships with Ruby 1.9.x and Puppet 2.7.x.  2.7.x is
>> not
>>  100% compatible with 1.9.3. The number of issues in this space continues
>>  grow.
>> * EPEL 5/6 still have Puppet 2.6.x in stable.  This version of Puppet
>> isn't maintained any more, other than security fixes.
>

> Isn't 'not maintained anymore other than security fixes' Exactly what epel
> (and rhel for that matter) all about?
Yes, and no.  You'd never be able to have Fedora clients (or many
other distributions/OSes) connecting to that master.

> also - if I have a puppet master on rhel5 and my clients on rhel6 - how well
> does that work?
Right, in this world you'd want to put a master on EL6 or newer.

I (we) completely realize this isn't totally awesome either.  This is
a problem when you have a distributed application that is trying to
support the widest variety of host populations we can.

This request was brought to us by community members, Red Hat
employees, and business partners as well.

I am happy to discuss other soutions/ideas too though.  I am not 100%
convinced my proposal is the best.