'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

Michael Stahnke stahnma at puppetlabs.com
Fri Oct 26 17:03:33 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
Date: Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: 'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL
To: EPEL development disccusion <epel-devel-list at redhat.com>

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 01:08:01PM -0600, Ken Dreyer wrote:
> Red Hat itself sometimes rebases software between minor point releases
> (eg 6.0 to 6.1). Could we allow EPEL maintainers to push
> "non-backwards-compatible updates" at specific dates that match RHEL's
> minor point release schedule?

+1 in theory, modulo the realities of getting it working.

This becomes difficult in reality. Or at least was when RHEL would
bump, but other EL variants hadn't updated yet.  I specifically
remember this being a problem with libevent in the past.  Would EPEL
allow breaking changes when RHEL moves or when other EL variants move?
 Is there an open-window timeframe etc?

In general, I'm in favor of being able to update, as a volunteer
maintaining anything for 10 years is pretty unreasonable, but
expectations for the users need to be set accordingly.