Re: 'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012, Dmitry Makovey wrote:

Seth, with all due respect, my understanding of EPEL is precisely bridge
between releases of specific distributions (unless I got it wrong). It's aim
is to bring "latest goodness" from current Fedora over to slower-paced
RHEL/CentOS/SL.

Not really. It's just building those pkgs which are not already in rhel for it and do so in a way which complies with fedora packaging policies.

Why would you recommend against synchronization with any distribution?

B/c there are many distros built on that base - and tying to one is implicitly blessing ONE distro.

And I think fedora officially blessing a rebuild of rhel is going to go over like a lead balloon.

-sv