'policy' for multiple versions of same software in EPEL

Dmitry Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Mon Oct 29 22:22:57 UTC 2012

On October 29, 2012 17:35:14 Seth Vidal wrote:

> > Why would you recommend against synchronization with any distribution?
>
> B/c there are many distros built on that base - and tying to one is
> implicitly blessing ONE distro.

hmm. OK, makes sense.

> And I think fedora officially blessing a rebuild of rhel is going to go
> over like a lead balloon.

I'm not suggesting that Fedora donates to/blesses CenOS builds, but rather
having CentOS-Extras closer to EPEL. I imagine for some, who use CentOS-Extra
and EPEL repos against RHEL* installs cross-listed packages would prove
"difficult".

Anyway, I'm bidding for the cause I have limited interest in: my selfish goal
was to find ways for EPEL to get more man-power to carry on. "Poaching" on the
CeonOS side seemed reasonable. And I imagine situation could be viewed in
reverse from CentOS side where they get some extra help (read: cross-
polination) from EPEL.

I'll stop there :)

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator

When in trouble when in doubt run in circles scream and shout
     http://www.wordwizard.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=19330

---