Fudcon EPEL discussion summary/report

Bryan J Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Jan 23 03:59:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Björn Persson
<bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se> wrote:
> And announce it on this list? Or is there a convenient way for
> non-customers to get notified when Red Hat releases a beta?

Update ("Point Release") Beta and GA announcements are made on the
_public_ Red Hat lists for EL5 and EL6. [1] [2]  They are also made on
the public, "low-traffic" Announce lists. [3] [4]  In fact, Red Hat is
quite notorious for cross-posting announcements (e.g., 6.4 Beta on the
5 list, etc...).  I would assume most everyone here is already on
them, at least the "Announce" lists.  I regularly see community "EL
Rebuild" discussions on those lists as well.  Again, they are _public_
and I've never seen any moderation done on them regarding community
"EL Rebuilds."  In fact, they are hosted/serviced on exact same public
hostname/mailman service [5] as this list, "epel-devel-list."

As far as "customer," anyone with any subscription, including a Red
Hat "Developer" subscription, should have access to the Beta binary
packages.  Given the complementary ones handed out to EPEL
maintainers, having one can never hurt to track any forthcoming RHEL
changes.  E.g., a dependency rebase or RFE/concurrent release upcoming
in the next Update.  Although you don't have to have a subscription to
read the public "Technical Notes" for any Beta, including the
breakdown of individual package updates, possible rebases/concurrent
changes, etc.. (e.g., Section 4 for RHEL 6.4 Beta [6]).  In fact, I
see this workflow, based on Chris' original suggestion to handle
changes more "discrete" on RHEL Updates ("Point Releases"), being the
"EPEL equivalent" of the "Technical Notes" -- but with a 100%
maintainer optional/opt-in (not required).

-- bjs

[1] Red Hat public RHEL5 list
 - https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rhelv5-list

[2] Red Hat public RHEL6 list
 - https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/rhelv6-list

[3] Red Hat public RHEL5 Announce ("low traffic") list
 - https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-announce/

[4] Red Hat public RHEL6 Announce ("low traffic") list
 - https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv6-announce/

[5] Red Hat public lists (rhel-* lists, as well as epel-devel-list)

[6] Red Hat public docs:  Enterprise Linux 6.4 Beta "Technical Notes"
 - https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6-Beta/html-single/6.4_Technical_Notes/index.html

--
Bryan J Smith - Professional, Technical Annoyance
b.j.smith at ieee.org - http://www.linkedin.com/in/bjsmith