Django-1.5 build

Matthias Runge mrunge at matthias-runge.de
Fri Mar 1 15:09:14 UTC 2013

> Well, I'm also looking at EPEL here (though I suppose we could just
> implement a different solution on that side as well). EPEL has a much
> longer life than Fedora releases (and much, much longer than the
> Django upstream release maintenance period). So we need to have a plan
> in place for how to keep EPEL moving forward sanely. In my humble
> opinion, we should break things *once* so that packages learn to make
> a dependency on a specific Django version (by doing a Requires:
> python-django14) and drop the historical "Django" and unversioned
> "python-django" Provides from any of the packages.

Well, looking at the Django rename[1],[2], we had several packages left.
So, thinking about breaking packages once, I have a really bad feeling,
because we still have packages left, absolutely untouched by their
maintainers.

If we're breaking by intent, we should also be so strict and deprecate
all broken packages not fixed by their maintainers in a time-frame of
four weeks.

I'd like to have Fedora 18+ and EL6(++) packages named consistently.
That is currently not the case (python-django in f18, on EPEL Django for
the 1.3 version, and Django14 for Django-1.4. Strictly speaking, I
should deprecate Django on EPEL more sooner than later, because it won't
receive any update from upstream any more.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Bkabrda/Django_rename
[2] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/146

--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at matthias-runge.de>