Re: [et-mgmt-tools] paravirtualization on a T7200

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 12:31 +0100, Javier Carnero Iglesias wrote:

>  I'm using kvm in Ubuntu Intrepid x86_64, and I thought kvm could do
> paravirtualization. So I'll try xen while I'm waiting for a new
> release of kvm with paravirtualization support.

Para-virtualization isn't always better.

KVM uses full virtualization, meaning that it uses the processor's
support for virtualization. This means you can run an unmodified guest
OS on KVM.

If you can modify the guest OS, then KVM *does* allow you to use
paravirtualization for some performance sensitive operations - so e.g.
we've got pvclock, pv MMU and virtio devices.

Don't get tied up in marketing terminology - try both and decide for
yourself which works best for you.

Cheers,
Mark.