[et-mgmt-tools] virtinst: acpi/apic == FALSE for Windows XP

Laurent Léonard laurent at open-minds.org
Tue Jul 7 11:04:15 UTC 2009

Le mardi 07 juillet 2009 à 09:53, Chris Lalancette a écrit :
> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> >> AFAIK this was done because windows installs on xen used to choke if
> >> ACPI was enabled. There is an old wiki page corroborating that here, no
> >> idea if it is still relevant, or if there were other issues at play:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsACPI
> >
> > I think that's obsolete and nowadays ACPI (and APIC) should be enabled
> > for Xen Windows guests.
> >
> > Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> You are probably correct, although testing (especially on things like
> RHEL-5 Xen) is in order before making the change for Xen as well.

As I wrote in a mail to Cole, I made some tests on Debian Squeeze with Xen
3.2.1.

I successfully installed a Windows XP virtual machine with ACPI enabled, the
installation ended without any manual intervention (excepted those requested
by the Windows setup). But I also installed a similar virtual machine without
ACPI. The virtual machine with ACPI enabled seems to be slower than the
virtual machine without ACPI. I suppose it's a bug in Xen 3.2.1, perhaps it
is fixed in Xen 3.3 or 3.4 ? Same problem with Windows Server 2003 (ACPI is
enabled in OS dictionary for this variant corrseponding to this Windows
version). I think there is no difference in ACPI handling between Windows XP
x86, x86_64 and Windows Server 2003 so there is no reason to have different
options in the OS dictionary...

--
Laurent Léonard