[et-mgmt-tools] Running virt-install without X

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Fri Jul 17 21:44:18 UTC 2009

New to list. I couldn't find a searchable archive of this ML, so
apologies if this has been asked before (feel free to flame me, but
please include a pointer to where I can find the answer).

I've been looking at KVM virtualisation recently. I want to use it on a
hosted server without X installed, and I want to be able to create new
(Linux) guests from the command line.

virt-install lets me kick off an installation, but everything I've tried
so far needs a graphical terminal of some sort to carry out the
text-based (Debian Lenny) installation. Once the installation is
complete, I can use 'virsh' to connect to the serial console and that
works fine.

I suspect the key is in virt-install's '--nographics' option, but I
can't seem to connect to the console to carry out the installation
after using that option. Can anyone shed some light?

(Just to be clear: I want to do everything via an ssh session, so no
VNC, etc).

Thanks,
Keith