[et-mgmt-tools] Features request

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 09:01:34 UTC 2009

On 06/17/2009 10:41 AM, Emre Erenoglu wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 8:28 AM, Michal Novotny <minovotn at redhat.com
> <mailto:minovotn at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     Well, in my opinion you have to consider that virt-manager
>     supports both KVM and Xen so you can't simply give KVM only stuff
>     there. It's like the ac97 card request - Xen doesn't support this
>     card so virt-manager doesn't have a choice to select it at all. In
>     fact, there should be one way for already existing and maybe even
>     domain creation - the information about connection type is stored
>     when we have domain already setup but also, in creating new domain
>     we know (due to virt-manager.log) what hv type will be used -
>     whether kvm or xen so theoretically this should work to compensate
>     the differences between KVM/Xen but I don't know whether it's a
>     right way.
>

> Then why don't we just make an "advanced" field where a user can enter
> his own parameters to the qemu-kvm binary?
Sounds good, if a user knows the virtualization tool well, he could pass
any parameter supported by HV itself so this idea is not bad I think.
But like you said, it's the "advanced" feature so that somewhere in
virt-manager user should choose or check the advanced interface mode or
something similar. I don't think some people don't knowing the HV would
like to investigate this so that this should be a new entry in the menu
that have to be enabled first. Some item like "Advanced mode" in "View"
menu or so...

>     To your requested features:
>     1. Bridged networking - yeah, this could be good to be added there
>     not to have to setup the bridge manually
>

> +1 for this one, but with a normal user account in kvm group (not
> root). Adding to this:
>
>     2. Snapshots - like I said, you're referring to KVM so see above,
>     Xen can save the machine to a checkpoint file while not running
>     (ie. this shuts the domain down) or even when running (not
>     shutting the domain down) and I think nothing else is there about
>     that. I don't know about KVM options.
>     3. Additional networking options - what options do you mean? What
>     would you like to have there?
>

> I would like to open an already created TAP interface. I have a script
> running at boot time which creates the bridge and as many TAP
> interfaces as you want, owned by group kvm. Any user who is a member
> of kvm group can use these tap interfaces to have bridged networking
> in their virtual machines, without needing privilate escalation or
> running as root. Therefore:
>
> 3.1. Ability to choose a pre-defined TAP interface. (ie, if the OS
> provides pre-cooked tapX devices read/write by kvm group that one can
> assign to his VMs). A config, such as:
>
> Example Config Proposal:
>        <interface type='bridge'>
>          <source bridge='br0'/>
> *         <target dev='your_precreated_tap_interface'/>
>
>          <create dev='no'>
> *         <mac address="11:22:33:44:55:66"/>
>        </interface>
>
> This is more or less the same thing as bridged networking of
> libvirt/virt-manager, just skipping the tap device creation part and
> using an existing tap instead.
Well, ability to use pre-defined TAP interface could be good, that's right.

>     4. Bridge wireless NIC cards - would this be useful?
>

> It would be, but I think there are technical limitations for bridging
> a wireless and a wireline card.
I have never tried bridging the wireless cards so I don't know about
that. This was just a thought...

> Best Regards,
> --
> Emre