[et-mgmt-tools] Features request

bodhi zazen bodhi.zazen at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 24 18:54:59 UTC 2009

Just in follow up to my wireless request.

I would like to follow up and bring Proxy
arp<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Proxy-ARP-Subnet/index.html>to your
attention.

With proxy arp you can route traffic to your LAN via your wireless card (if
you wish to access a samba or nfs share for example).

This is done with a few simple commands:

tunctl

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/wlan0/proxy_arp
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/tap0/proxy_arp

ip link set tap0 up
route add -host 192.168.0.20 dev tap0

You can now use the tap0 on the guest (from the command line). In fedora you
need to allow the traffic as the default settings in iptables will block the
traffic)

The tap0 does not appear as an option in virt-manager, so you have to start
kvm from the command line.

In the guest configure a static IP with the route ip as a gateway.

I hope this information is helpful and perhaps you could consider adding the
option to virt manager.

I posted a blog on how I did this on Fedora 11 here :

http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/bridge-wireless-cards/

(Yes I know it is not technically a bridge, but it accomplishes what I need
/ want, ie the guest behaves as if it is on th eLAN and I can manage
internet access via my router rather then the host and I can use samba and
nfs with the guest and a wireless network card on the host).

HTH, thanks