Re: kernel panic on ext3

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 02:32:37PM +0900, Hiroyuki Kudo wrote:

> My name is Hiroyuki Kudo.
> I have a problem using ext3 in my system DELL PowerEdge 1550.
> I recently installed RedHat 7.2 (kernel-2.4.7-2) and found that it
> used ext3. Later, since I needed to use nfsv4, I got
> kernel-2.4.4-nfsv4.  But it didn't start up and saying `kernel panic`
> What is wrong with it?

You haven't told us when the panic occurred, or where, or what other
log messages were associated with it, so it is nearly impossible to
debug this: we need more information.

However, my guess is that your root filesystem is ext3, and you didn't
do a clean shutdown, so when you rebooted to the 2.4.4 nfsv4 kernel
(which does NOT have ext3), the kernel couldn't mount root.