Re: Dead puppies (and Linux boxen) aren't much fun.

SWebster EtcServices com said:
> It was looking like too much of a pain to create a boot disk from
> another system, so I booted from one of the handy-dandy LinuxCare
> bootable recovery CDs I picked up at LWExpo.  I ran debugfs and
> removed the journaling features.  That got it booting again, so I
> created a set of boot/root disks w/ Yard and booted from the floppies
> and ran fsck.ext3 from the beta.redhat.com e2fsprogs-1.20-0ext3.

Thats pretty dangerous - slinging the journal could have nasty
consequences.

My approach is also to use the linuxcare BBC (I'm actually using the
1.5 beta rather than the 1.2 version thats in distribution), then use
ssh to pull a current copy of e2fsck from a machine with a current
version of it on.  An alternative might be to download the sourceforge
binary package and extract it - not sure if the BBC has lynx and
rpm2cpio or another rpm capable package.

Once you have e2fsck run on the root then the machine should boot
normally.

Wonder if an alternative approach is to use a initrd including e2fsck
and make sure all your fs-es are always cleaned before mount....
however 0.0.06b will solve all our problems :-)

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel Metheringham InTechnology co uk ]