RE: FSCK?

> On Oct 20, 2001  11:26 -0400, Jason A. Lixfeld wrote:
> > Well, it took me about 2 weeks to find a kernel version
> stable enough
> > to run LVM/EXT3/Promise FastTrack100.  That was
> 2.4.10-ac11.  The last
> > thing I want to do is start to try new kernels and such.  I
> had such
> > problems previously.
>
> Sounds like you have more of a hardware problem than anything.

I thought I had a hardware problem too until I came across 2.4.10-ac11.
All of a sudden, all the errors I was having with LVM just disappeared.

I was having the same errors on 2 different systems, so I doubt it was
hardware related if I was seeing the same problems on 2 completely
different systems.  Also, the 2 systems that were flaky started running
perfectly with 2.4.10-ac11, not just the one, but both.

> > 1) Why did a forced fsck come up so errornous when a normal
> fsck said
> > the filesystem was clean?!
>
> Because a normal fsck will only check the superblock to see
> if it says that everything is OK.  Under normal cases, this
> is enough.  If there are any errors when using the
> filesystem, it will put an error in the superblock or the
> journal which e2fsck will notice.  It sounds like in your
> case the data in the filesystem is junk.

What constitues junk data?!  The data was all perfectly usable.  No
problems at all reading it or writing it.  The problems started by
moving the data around.  Deleting data off of the filesystem and then
adding new data after space was clear.  The data is all 99% large files
usually about 15MB.

> > 2) How do I get rid of all the crap that's in the lost+found
> > directory? I get permission denied errors and the sort trying to
> > delete as root.
>
> Use "chattr -i lost+found/*" as a start.

Yes, tried chattr already:

# chattr -i lost+found/*
# rm -rf lost+found/
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found/#10127478': Operation not
permitted
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found/#10128415': Operation not
permitted
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found/#10137824': Operation not
permitted
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found/#10138068': Operation not
permitted
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found/#10139746': Operation not
permitted
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found/#10140380': Operation not
permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10126067': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10126087': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10127363': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10130530': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10132129': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10137879': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10138297': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10139047': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10139658': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot unlink `lost+found/#10141127': Operation not permitted
rm: cannot remove directory `lost+found': Directory not empty
#

What else can I do to get rid of this stuff?

> > 3) Is there any way to throttle writes to an LVM, or an EXT3
> > partition? I think that's what did it.  I was moving data
> around from
> > a super fast striped ATA100 RAID to an appended LVM.  How can I
> > throttle the LVM to only allow a couple of MB/sec?!  That will also
> > keep kjournald down at a respectable CPU/MEM utilization instead of
> > chewing up all my resources and b0rking my system :)
>
> Use "dma=off" or whatever the appropriate flag to turn off IDE dma is.

I assume you are talking about using hdparm?  If not, will the
appropriate hdparm options suffice?!