Re: Changing root journal data mode

On Sep 05, 2001  17:47 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> I'm running 2.4.9-ac7 with ext3 compiled in, and I ran across this problem.
> Now that I look back, it makes sence, but it wasn't obvious at first...
>
> I wanted to change the journal mode on my / partition, so I changed my fstab
> to:
>
> /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,data=journal 0 1
>
> as well as several other partitions, and rebooted.
>
> After rebooting I had a read only / that I couldn't remount rw, and couldn't
> edit /etc/fstab without a boot disk.
>
> After scrolling up, I found output from mount saying to the affect "Can't
> change journal mode while mounted".

You need to specify on the kernel command-line "rootflags=data=journal".
For lilo and syslinux, this is done with append="rootflags=data=journal".

> I guess there would be a kernel boot option to change the journal mode for
> /, but I haven't taken the time to look yet...
>
> Does it look like this will change, or are things staying like this?

It may make sense to allow specifying the default data-journaling type
in the journal superblock.  I suppose it depends also on whether shared
journals (not implemented yet) will allow mixed-mode journaling, or if
they will require the same journaling mode for all clients.  Andrew, Stephen?

Cheers, Andreas