not mounting ext3, 2.4.10

Hi,

I just attempted to convert my only partition, /, to ext3. I downloaded
the patch and compiled the kernel with ext3 support built-in, along with
the JBD Debugging support. Compiled the kernel and rebooted, everything
was fine.

Did a tune2fs -j /dev/hda2 on the partition in single-user mode, with
e2fsprogs 1.24a. It complained about not having enough space, or something
like that, (I have 7.6GB free on a 40GB drive.) However, it seemed to work
ok and it created a /.journal file about 32MB in size. I changed my
/etc/fstab to read ext3 instead of ext2 for the root partition, and
rebooted. However, I got:
mount showed the partition as ext3, but when I did a cat /proc/mounts (as
I saw suggested in the archives), it read as ext2.

I changed the FS type to auto in /etc/fstab and rebooted, but that didn't
work. I tried removing the journal file with rm /.journal, and that gave
me
rm: cannot unlink `/.journal': Operation not permitted

I'm not sure what else I should do, I would like to keep my data intact
and also run ext3.... Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks,
Andy MacNamara