Desktop Filesystem Benchmarks in 2.6.3

Hans Reiser reiser at namesys.com
Wed Mar 3 06:30:54 UTC 2004

Unfortunately it is a bit more complex, and the truth is less
complementary to us than what you write.  Reiser4's CPU usage has come
down a lot, but it still consumes more CPU than V3.  It should consume
less, and Zam is currently working on making writes more CPU efficient.
As soon as I get funding from somewhere and can stop worrying about
money, I will do a complete code review, and CPU usage will go way
down.  There are always lots of stupid little things that consume a lot
of CPU that I find whenever I stop chasing money and review code.

We are shipping because CPU usage is not as important as IO efficiency
for a filesystem, and while Reiser4 is not as fast as it will be in 3-6
months, it is faster than anything else available so it should be shipped.

Hans

--
Hans