Desktop Filesystem Benchmarks in 2.6.3

Robin Rosenberg robin.rosenberg.lists at dewire.com
Wed Mar 3 09:59:26 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 10:43, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> But XFS easily breaks down due to media defects. Once ago I used XFS,
> but I lost all data on one of my volumes due to a bad block on my hard
> disk. XFS was unable to recover from the error, and the XFS recovery
> tools were unable to deal with the error.

What file systems work on defect media?

As for crashed disks I rarely bothered trying to "fix" them anymore. I save
what I can and restore what's backed up and recovery tools (other than
the undo-delete ones) usually destroy what's left, but that's not unique to
XFS. Depending on how good my backups are I sometimes try the recovery
tools just to see, but that has never helped so far.

-- robin