Enlarge ext3 Logical Volume (Filesystem) in a volume group (LVM)

Jacques Duplessis jacques.duplessis at videotron.ca
Fri Nov 12 12:22:35 UTC 2004

Anybody know a way to enlarge a filesystem ext3 without having to unmounted it, when they are still space left in the volume group (when using LVM) ?

I will be running large production linux system running Oracle.
I can't stop the database everytime I have to enlarge a filesystem.

We can do it with all others filesystems (JFS, REISERSFS and XFS) when they are created in a volume group. Why can't we do it with ext3 ?

I cannot believe nobody ask for it !
Somebody must have a tools (they used to be ext2online) any other ?
How all others folks are dealing with this kind of problem ?