Re: EXT3-fs error

"dmesg" should print out error messages, even if /var/log is ro.

If you are lucky enough to get a shell :)

For e.g., how can I redirect syslog to print to another partition?
(hoping that partition to stay RW)?

just tell syslog where to log: /etc/syslog or /etc/syslog-ng should help
here (man syslogd)

Well, I have redirected the syslog to a different partition, and am now waiting for the problem to reccur.

Thanks for your help.