debian unstable & ext3

Christian evilninja at gmx.net
Tue Sep 5 09:48:31 UTC 2006

[resent to ext3-users at redhat.com]

On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Larry McVoy wrote:
> Some time ago things started getting weird in the following way: I do a
> fairly normal hack, ^Z, make, test loop when developing and it seems
----------------------^ this would STOP your editor (vi), but do you :w
before you do this?

> that vim is calling fsync or sync

you can start vim via strace(1) to find out which one is called.

> and that is then flushing everything to disk. My tests create maybe 10
> dozen files in ~30MB and for some reason this is taking 4 seconds to
> flush.

How full is the fs, maybe fragmentation is bad or the 4 sec are even
I/O-bound? What mount-options are used?

It'd be intresting to reproduce this behaviour on a fresh filesystem.

> I'm about to switch to reiserfs and that's a lot of fuss for what should

Let us know if this solved the problem ;)

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #277:

Your Flux Capacitor has gone bad.