Stress testing for ext3?

Christian evilninja at gmx.net
Tue Sep 5 10:50:51 UTC 2006

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, ..:::BeOS Mr. X:::.. wrote:
> I know of a method to continously execute a command, maybe doing a full
> listing of the drive's contents will heat the drives up, but I am not sure
> about the error checking part. Here is what I would do:
> while [ 1 -eq 1 ]; do ls  -shw9 -R; done

The directory liting will be cached, after the first run the disk
should not be touched any more (try it out...). Also, when you're not
redirecting the output to somewhere else (e.g. /dev/null), the terminal
displaying the output will be the bottleneck and not the fs or the
disk...

--
BOFH excuse #34:

(l)user error