Root filesystem on ext2

Jayjitkumar Lobhe jayjitkumar.lobhe at patni.com
Fri Sep 15 02:34:06 UTC 2006

Dear All,

I have a following query:

- My initrd image is created using ext2 filesystem.
- The filesystem type of / is specified as ext3 in /etc/fstab file.
- I dont mount the real root during execution of linuxrc because I
referred some documents saying that if you dont mount real root from
linuxrc the kernel will mount it after linuxrc is finished.
- The system boots up successfully, mount command shows / partition
mounted as ext3 but /proc/mount shows it as ext2.

Is this because in the kernel ext3 is built as module? Or
Is this because my image is created using ext2 filesystem?
When is the exact point when kernel mounts real root?(This seems not to be
fitting in this mailing list.)

Thanks in advance. It will be a great help if my queries get answered.

Regards,
Jayjit