journal on an ssd

Experts,

What happens if the disk hosting an external journal of a filesytem
running with data=journal goes bust.

The Backstory ...

I have been batteling with filesystem performance for some time
now. Our setup is a HW Raid(6) with LVM on top and ext3 filesytems.

Recently we added an SSD to our setup and have moved all the journals
to this ssd. This has dramatically improved performance and
especially reduced the interdependence between performance of
different partitions hosted on the same RAID.

 http://insights.oetiker.ch/linux/external-journal-on-ssd.html

I realy like the performance of this new setup, but I am not all
that sure about the data security aspects of it. Especially after
reading

 http://www.cs.wisc.edu/adsl/Publications/sfa-dsn05.pdf

which suggests that damaged journals are the worst that can happen
to ext3.

any insights on this?

cheers
tobi